There are some basic commandments that have been passed down to every surgical staff, resident and student.
- Eat when you can eat
- Sleep when you can sleep
- Read when you can read
- Shit when you can shit
- Go home when you can go home
- Don’t stand when you can sit down
- Don’t sit when you can lie down
- Don’t stay awake when you can sleep
- Don’t fix it if it’s not broken
- Don’t fuck with the pancreas
For everything else, there’s Surgical Recall
The only book you need to be pimp-proof on your surgical rotation and in the ER. I would say, the first 200 pages provide the highest yield content for someone who has never been in the OR. They have chapters on instruments, sutures, knot tying, wounds, drains and tubes, anatomy pearls, complications, ward emergencies and much more. Check out the free online version or Surgical Recall at Google Books. One last thing, buy just the basic Surgical Recall, the Advanced Surgical Recall book isn’t any better.